FOCUS: Restoration and Fish Habitat, Fish-Forestry, Telemetry or related focus
LOCATION: Issaquah (Seattle), WA, Moscow, ID, or Portland, OR
Overview: Cramer Fish Sciences (CFS) is a fisheries research consulting firm serving the Pacific Northwest and California. Our mission is to rigorously apply the scientific method to provide scientifically robust solutions to our clients for a variety of fisheries and environmental challenges. The CFS team achieves this through effective and unbiased data collection, insightful analysis and interpretation, and clear communication. The Senior Scientist supports these outcomes by providing science expertise and leadership within the company and with clients, developing projects, obtaining funding, providing project management leadership for multiple projects including managing and directing staff, statistical analysis, and reporting and publication of results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve in a business development capacity for CFS, maintaining and developing relationships to attract and win profitable projects
- Provide specialized, highly sought-after technical analysis and review on a variety of projects, and provide technical advice and counsel directly to clients
- Lead or participate in all aspects of the project work including proposal/scope, project implementation, data analysis and report writing
- Manage project budgets and communicate regularly with administrative staff and clients
- Negotiate with clients on project scope and budget
- Serve as the program lead on large projects
- Oversee and review project tasks for scientists and specialists
- Represent CFS at scientific conferences and give presentations and mentor junior scientists on presentations
- Publishes papers in leading scientific journals
- Perform other duties as assigned
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (required):
- Expertise: Considered an expert in the field with a positive reputation with clients. Has co-authored published peer-reviewed articles concerning fisheries and aquatic science issues and opportunities. Demonstrated ability to acquire and manage complex, dynamic fisheries projects with State, Federal, Tribal and Industry partners. Proven ability to identify and capitalize on emerging fisheries and aquatic issues.
· Project Management Skills: Excellent ability to organize projects, delegate appropriately, communicate often and with transparency, and learn from project successes and failures to ensure the organization grows in capability. Deliver cutting-edge science and practical solutions to clients and the region. Able to meet deadlines within budget.
· Team Leadership Skills: Sets high performance and quality standards and enables the team to be successful. Views all team members as critical and important and treats team members with respect and professionalism. Able to delegate and leverage opportunities for growth while skillfully using individual team member strengths. Mentors/develops individual team members.
· Science-Business balance. Should demonstrate expertise and be passionate about science, natural resources, and resolving complex fishery problems. Understands management and business functions to help manage CFS as a profitable business.
Desired Experience and Personal Attributes:
- Significant fisheries science and/or aquatic restoration expertise, but versatile enough to effectively acquire and manage a variety of relevant CFS projects
- Strong ability to hold oneself and others accountable and responsible for meeting goals and commitments; driving the work of CFS scientific staff
- Ability to produce accurate, timely and quality work and be accountable for meeting objectives
- Strong decision-making and execution skills. Results oriented individual
· Strong initiative; considered a self-starter
· Innovative/Creative approach to scientific problem solving
· Comfortable operating at a high level in an uncertain environment
· Ability to work collaboratively with others to resolve problems
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to express and exchange ideas
· Strong customer service ethic in delivery of services
· Positive energy as evidenced in an optimistic outlook and a disposition to encourage
- Organizational leadership and supervisory experience
· M.S. or Ph.D. in fisheries, forestry, biology or equivalent science and 15 years or more of experience
· Minimum of 5 years of Project Management experience
· Demonstrated ability to obtain funding and lead projects from start-to-finish
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Must be comfortable working in the aquatic environment including working from a boat, swimming and wading in rivers and streams
· Require long periods of computerized data analysis or writing in an office environment
- Must be able to work effectively in inclement weather
· Irregular working hours on occasion to meet project deadlines
· Travel 10-40% of the time mostly to CFS offices, clients, field sites, and scientific conferences
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive base salary based on qualifications
Health and retirement benefits
Incentive pay structure available
CFS is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) company
Closing Date: 2 March 2018, or until filled.
Location: Issaquah, WA, Portland, OR, or Moscow, ID
How to apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Phil Roni at: email@example.com.