Senior Desktop Support Specialist
General Duty Statement
Provides expert-level information technology support and project leadership. Performs complex planning, implementation, and maintenance of information technology infrastructure. Researches new systems. Conducts cost estimates. Coordinates complex implementation projects. Coordinates the acquisition, configuration, installation, and testing of new systems. Performs advanced troubleshooting across technical platforms. Serves as a mentor to other staff. Serves as a resource and liaison to customers, co-workers, and vendors. Provides staff training in the installation, configuration, and testing of new and/or specialized software and hardware. Participates in establishing procedural standards and guidelines for work projects. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Information regarding this position:
Consider applying to one of the Senior Desktop Support Specialist positions with the City of Saint Paul Office of Technology and Communications (OTC). These two openings are located in downtown Saint Paul; 25 West 4th Street; City Hall Annex Building.
These Senior Desktop Support Specialist positions are part of a team responsible for managing and supporting the desktop infrastructure. They will work across City departments with a variety of stakeholders to help build consensus, share expertise with others using a consultative approach, and drive results to meet business requirements. Prioritize work assignments to align with citywide goals and business objectives, and plan innovative changes to ensure a positive, collaborative, and high performance work environment. Maintain and troubleshoot Information Technology (IT) infrastructure component(s), and recommend and implement enhancements to them.
Primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Provides advanced-level information technology cross platform technical support, and help desk support
- Package, test, and certify technology platforms, software, and applications
- Installs, configures, and tests a wide variety of hardware and software including complex applications and technology tools
- Determines appropriate troubleshooting procedures and performs troubleshooting on infrastructure failures
- Makes decisions based on protocols and previous practice
- Provides hands on assistance in identifying and resolving complex hardware and software problems
- Provides staff training in the installation, configuration, and testing of software and hardware. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required
The Eligible List created from this posting may be used to fill various IS Systems Support Specialist IV positions with the Office of Technology.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the IS Systems Support Specialist IV Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul's mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
- Successful completion of a technical school certificate related to the vacancy PLUS four years of work experience related to the vacancy
- Six years of work experience related to the vacancy
- Requires a valid Minnesota Class D Driver's License, or equivalent out-of-state driver's license. The driver's license must have no suspensions or revocations for driving-related offenses within the two year period prior to the date of appointment. Suspensions for parking-related offenses are excluded.
Preferred qualifications for the current opening include:
- Expertise in managing System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) including upgrading and maintain the overall health of the environment
- Expertise in packaging applications using SCCM
- Expertise in packaging applications using SCCM or other software deployment tools
- Expertise in Windows desktops, servers and other Microsoft technologies; troubleshooting skills is a daily requirement
- Proficiency in VBScript or Power Shell
- Experience administrating and maintaining AirWatch, or other Mobile Device Management, installation and configuration
- Experience utilizing Patch management tools to automate patch creation, including defining dependencies, submitting build and test requests for major, minor, and patch releases
- Review, test, and deploy monthly updates from Microsoft using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Experience installing, patching and maintaining the antivirus environment using McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (EPO)
- Experience encrypting laptops and desktops
- Experience acting as the key resource for resolving 3rd level technical issues, collaborating with networking and server teams
Those invited for the hiring interview may be evaluated on experience listed above and preferred qualifications listed below:
- Excellent communication, presentation and analytical skills, including the ability to communicate complex, technological concepts clearly to all levels of the organization.
- Experience working collaboratively across different skill sets and points of view.
- Superior attention to detail, critical thinking, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision while meeting deadlines.
- A drive to do what it takes to get the job done, including taking on different roles and responsibilities and adapting to changing environments.
- Effective time management and organizational skills and a thorough approach to problem solving.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload or submit the following required document(s) via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10 MB.) You will not be able to submit your application without attaching a copy of your resume.
- A legible copy of your resume (required)
- Cover letter (highly encouraged)
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Not sure how City of Saint Paul's hiring process works? Attend one of our Elevate sessions. The schedule is available at www.stpaul.gov/elevate.
Selection Process Information
The selection process will include a pass/fail Qualifications Rating which includes a review of your resume (required) and application against the requirements, essential functions, and primary responsibilities of position. Be as specific and detailed as possible in completing your application and any attachments. You must submit your completed application, supplemental questionnaire and any attachments by the application deadline. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a background check and may require a driver's license check. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education to Human Resources upon conditional job offer. This position may be subject to limited on-call status for after-hours services associated with the assignment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Open Job Posting: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or other evaluation method.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Nou Chang at 651-266-6519
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer back to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran's Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran's preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Working Title: Senior Desktop Support Specialist
Official Title: IS Systems Support Specialist IV