Building Permit Technician (TS21)
Join our well regarded permits program and work in a positive environment.
The Building Permit Technician performs specialized technical and customer service functions related to building and other related permits. Typically includes intake review and issuance. Explains permit requirements and procedures to property owners and contractors; provides guidance and information necessary for successful completion of permit applications. Performs related duties as required.
Compensation: $36,732.80 - $44,990.40 Annually
- Review building plans and permits to provide initial screen of Building Code compliance; Meet with applicants; intake applications.
- Serve as liaison between permit applicant and County departments or other agencies to meet applicant's needs and permit requirements. Provides information and guidance related to application files and records, building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, septic system and road approach permits.
- Evaluates building plans to calculate and collect permit fees in accordance with state and county schedules.
- Organize and coordinate the workflow routing and tracking of permit review by internal and external staff.
- Create variety of reports for multiple entities, such as governmental, private citizens, etc .
- Review building plans to ensure proper collection, reporting and distribution of construction excise tax to participating school districts.
- Interview customers to determine their needs and assess the scope of their project. Explain Building Code requirements and process to applicants
- Respond to inquiries from the public regarding policies and procedures, fees, permit status, and basic building code/land use questions; direct visitors and callers to appropriate staff for complex inquiries.Direct questions and inquiries related to technical and specialized rules to the appropriate staff
- Provide research assistance to the public regarding building calculation costs or past history of permits on a specific site.
Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree or two-year technical degree in building permitting, urban planning, construction, or other directly related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in in zoning and land use, permit issuance and fees, building concepts on plans, construction, construction project coordination, or a directly related field.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
The ideal candidates is someone who meet or exceeds the minimum qualifications listed above and have experience as a Permit Technician, or direct experience interacting with the building permit process.