Associate (Commissioner's Staff Representative)
This is an At Will position.
The Office of Government Relations (OGR) is seeking a qualified Associate.
The Associate will report directly to the State Government Relations Manager. Major duties of this position involve extensive writing, editing and coordinating the publication of legislative agendas, reports and newsletters; researching topics to support the City's state and federal legislative objectives; monitoring and reporting on legislative actions; tracking news and social media and maintaining social media account(s); and planning the events to support City's legislative work. The Associate will also assist in maintaining databases and files and provide additional support to state and federal lobbying activities, as assigned.
About the Office of Government Relations:
The mission of the Office of Government Relations is to advance the City of Portland's legislative and intergovernmental policy objectives. The Office provides effective representation, strategic advice, and quality service to the City Council and all city bureaus. The work of OGR is politically sensitive, diverse and complex. OGR staff work together collaboratively to meet the needs of our clients in a fast-paced environment, ensuring that the interests of the City are advanced.
To Qualify Applicants Must Possess:
- Exemplary writing and editing skills and ability to prepare clear, accurate and concise summaries and reports in a timely manner.
- Experience with state government and the state legislative process; experience with federal government and process a plus.
- Knowledge of the City of Portland, services provided by the City and its governmental structure, and protocol and process for relating to elected officials and staff.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret legislation, statutes and complex legal documents.
- Demonstrated capacity to research complex policy, legal, and procedural questions.
- Ability to set priorities, exercise sound independent judgment, and manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, standard computer and office equipment, and experience with Billtracker.com a plus.
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Experience in event planning and logistics.
- Experience managing communications in a political environment and high degree of tact, discretion and diplomacy in dealing with politically sensitive situations and information.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast paced, team-oriented environment.
- Preference may be given to those applicants who have a bachelor's degree or higher degree in public administration, public policy, law or related field.
- Must have a valid driver's license, as driving is a requirement of the job.
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their cover letter and resume, weighted at 100%. Please limit total submission (cover letter and resume) to five pages or less. Additional evaluation may be required prior to final selection.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
Elizabeth Edwards, Director
Office of Government Relations
1221 SW 4th, Room 410
Portland, OR 97204
Applications must be received by 4:00 pm on July 10th, 2019. Applications will be accepted by mail, in-person delivery or by e-mail. If you have questions, please contact Susan Dietz at 503-823-4130 or Susan.Dietz@portlandoregon.gov. E-mailed applications can be sent to: Susan.Dietz@portlandoregon.gov with the subject heading: Associate Application.
This position is exempt from Civil Service and is an "At Will" position. It serves at the discretion of the hiring authority, subject to City of Portland Human Resources Administrative Rules and Portland City Charter and Code.
Veteran's Preference: If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, please identify yourself as a veteran and attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile. You must request Veteran's Preference and include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 4:00 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
Equal Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation, the requests must be made Susan Dietz at 503-823-4130 or e-mail
Susan.Dietz@portlandoregon.gov no later than the closing date of this recruitment.
Position Classification: Commissioner's Staff Representative