Olympic Resource Management, a subsidiary of Pope Resources, is a dynamic and growing timber company in the pacific northwest. Due to an acquisition of additional property an opportunity has been created for a Forester. We are looking for individuals with a passion for the forest industry and a desire to advance in the field. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dedicated, highly engaged team of people who genuinely enjoy what they do in a position with potential for long-term career growth. This forester will assist in the management of forest resources in the Grants Pass area. Travel to Wilsonville, OR office could be frequent.
• Implement, supervise and perform technical functions in silvicultural operations involving site preparation, planting, and tending of tree crops.
• Negotiation of contracts and supervision of contract crews
• Assist with harvest unit and road layout (property line reconnaissance and identify locate and mark timber harvest boundary lines
• Cruising: Coordinate monthly cruising schedule with Tree Farm Manager to assure timely and efficient completion of cruising projects. Cruise forest land by foot to estimate volume of marketable timber collect data concerning forest conditions for appraisal, sales, administration, logging, land use, and forest management planning
• Log cruise data and prepare summary report of timber types, sizes, condition, and outstanding features of area, such as existing roads, streams, lakes, and communication
• Varied field environment working independently, outdoors most of the time (up to 90%); many times in inclement weather.
• Direct, and participate in team, coordinating the planning, recon, design location, marking and permitting of the annual harvest plan and multi-year tactical harvest plans.
CORE COMPETENCIES / EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
B.S. / B.A. degree in forestry, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience considered. Minimum of an internship experience to 2 years of forestry experience with a working knowledge of GIS/GPS technology, silviculture, timberland cruising, an understanding of statistics and a strong work and stewardship ethic.
Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated interpersonal/team skills. Effective written and oral communication. Computer literacy in database management, spreadsheets and word processing software desirable. Must be a licensed and insurable driver in relevant state of base operations, safely operate a chainsaw and hold a pesticide applicators license within two months of hire.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k) with company match and participation in bonus program as well as a generous paid time off benefits program. If you are interested in joining an organization that values resourcefulness, stewardship of the land, sustainable growth and teamwork, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Olympic Resource Management is proud to be an equal opportunity employer