Accounting Office Specialist for the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District
The Monterey Peninsula Water Management District (MPWMD) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Accounting Office Specialist; this recruitment will fill one (1) vacancy and create an eligible list. Regional Government Services and its staff is conducting this recruitment for the MPWMD.
Incumbents of this position are directly involved in performing wide variety of accounting and administrative duties in support of District operations; maintains and processes financial records or transactions including accounts payable and receivable; provides information to the public and other Agency employees on Administrative Services Division functions, policies, and administrative procedures; answers telephone and provides assistance to the public; routes and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; maintains a variety of files and records; and performs related duties as assigns.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Works independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and customers.
- Maintains the highest level of ethical behavior in all matters.
- Works cooperatively and effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Is able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Has strong attention to detail.
- Has excellent customer service skills; and receives the public in person and over the phone using tact and diplomacy.
- Has demonstrated ability to exercise the judgment.
- Has strong communication skills both in oral and written form, and the ability to communicate complex ideas, and meet constantly changing priorities.
- Has expert skill in all Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook used in current office environments.
- Has demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships contacted in the performance of their duties.
ABOUT THE MPWMD
Since 1978, The Monterey Peninsula Water Management District has worked diligently to augment the area's water supply, promote water conservation and the integrated use of reclaimed water and repair, improve and augment the environment along local stream side habitats. The Monterey Peninsula Water Management District's mission is to promote or provide for a long-term sustainable water supply, and to manage and protect water resources for the benefit of the community and the environment.
- Examples of Duties:Have demonstrated initiative to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with others.
- Maintain the highest level of ethical behavior in all matters.
- Demonstrate adaptability, and the ability to work cooperatively with various departments and the public.
- Be able to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Have strong attention to detail.
- Have excellent customer service skills.
- Have demonstrated skills using general office software in an accounting support environment.
- Have experience in accounts payable and receivables.
- Have experience in data entry.
- Make mathematical calculations, including decimals and percentages.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, residents, customers, and officials.
Typical Qualifications:EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING - Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible clerical accounting and administrative work experience with considerable contact with the public. Public sector work experience is desirable.
Training: Possession of Associate's degree or equivalent in business, computer applications or other related field. Bachelor's degree in accounting, business or related field preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Principles of accounting.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Basic mathematical principles.
- Business math.
- Techniques of word processing, database and spreadsheets.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Microsoft Office Suite applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Basic principles and practices of data collection and report preparation.
- Methods and techniques of proper phone etiquette.
- Customer service techniques.
- Principles and practices of public relations.
- Apply basic bookkeeping and/or routine statistical principles, practices and techniques.
- Perform arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
- Perform a variety of clerical accounting duties.
- Examine and verify receipts, invoices, and reimbursement documents.
- Collect and compile data to prepare simple reports; maintain accurate records and document actions taken; and proofread and/or edit for errors in input, grammar, punctuation and arithmetical computation.
- Learn techniques used in dealing with delinquent accounts.
- Maintain tactfulness and courtesy in high stress situations.
- Operate a computer and modern office equipment.
- Learn to understand and explain District policies and procedures.
- Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
Supplemental Information:BENEFITS INFORMATION:
Retirement: California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS).
Medical, Dental, and Vision: MPWMD covers 95% for employee and qualified dependents.
Life and Long-Term Insurances: MPWMD covers 100%
Short-Term Disability: MPWMD covers 50%
Leaves: Ten (10) vacation days per year for first year of service with progressive increase up the 20 days/year after 8 years. Twelve (12) days of sick leave per year.
Holidays: Thirteen (13) paid holidays per year
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Applications must be submitted on-line through the this applicant tracking system. Materials must be complete and clearly indicate the candidate meets the minimum qualifications. All statements made on the application, resume, and supplemental materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for immediate disqualification, removal from eligibility list or discharge from employment.
The Deadline to apply is Sunday, July 28, 2019, at 11:59 PM PST.
Part I: Application - (Pass/Fail) After the closing deadline, applications will be screened in relation to the criteria indicated in this announcement. Incomplete, late, emailed, and faxed applications are not accepted. Resumes are not considered in lieu of the required employment application. Certificates, resumes, and typing certificates must be uploaded with your application through this applicant tracking system. Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to Kris Harapan at email@example.com.
All completed applications and supplemental questionnaires will be reviewed, for each applicant's ability to meet the minimum work experience, training and education qualifications.
Part IIa: Appraisal Process – (Pass/Fail) A combination of supplemental questionnaire, phone screen interviews, and/or written exam (tentatively scheduled for Monday, July 29, 2019) may be used to rank applications. Candidates who are most qualified will be invited to an Oral Interview Examination. Applicants may be selected for consideration to participate in an oral appraisal interview tentatively scheduled for the week of August 12, 2019, to evaluate training, experience and other job-related qualifications for the position.
Part IIb: Online Skills Assessment – (Pass/Fail) An Online Skills Assessment (tentatively scheduled for the week of August 5, 2019) may be used to evaluate candidates knowledge and skills for the position. Candidates who are most qualified will be invited to an Oral Interview Examination.
Part III: Oral Interview Exam – (100%) Candidates who pass the Online Skills Assessment assessment will be invited to an Oral Interview Examination. Applicants may be selected for consideration to participate in an oral appraisal interview tentatively scheduled for the week of August 12, 2019, to evaluate training, experience and other job-related qualifications for the position. Successful candidates will be placed on an eligible list.
All communication and notices will be sent via e-mail.
Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to Kris Harapan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neither Regional Government Services nor the MPWMD are responsible for failure of internet forms or email in submitting your application. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com.
The MPWMD is an Equal Opportunity Employer