Natural Resources Coordinator On-Call (PC41)
The Natural Resources Coordinator provides advanced technical knowledge and experience directly related to the management, protection or use of natural resources, within the County's Habitat & Prairie Conservation Program and specifically the Special Management Areas under the Public Works Department. Supports Public Works in management of threatened and endangered species identified along roads or within Public Works project areas by assessing, analyzing, interpreting and reporting the effects associated with the County's public works road maintenance activities.
This position will not exceed 1040 hours in a fiscal year.
Compensation $26.19-$39.28 Hourly
Major Functional Areas:
Habitat Conservation Plan and Special Management Areas
- Plan, coordinate, evaluate and provide recommendations on current and future maintenance operations impacting the program which includes development of best management practices, long-term management strategies and continued improvements of the County's program.
- Collaborate with other managers/staff on maintenance operations and projects.
- Monitor projects during or after construction to ensure projects followed criteria of species protection.
- Gather information from geographic information systems (GIS) databases or applications to document location, practices and formulate recommendations.
- Identify or recommend integrated weed and pest management (IPM) strategies, if required.
- Carry out effectiveness monitoring field surveys within designated special management areas, map and document findings.
- Plan, organize, and review procedures and practices implemented to enhance the function and viability of sensitive species within the special management areas.
- Initiate and administer maintenance contracts associated with habitat management maintenance.
- Related to Special Management Areas, collect data from road maintenance activities, projects and impact activities to complete annually reporting requirements.
- Coordinate with Engineering Department on future projects.
- Provide education, training and support to road maintenance staff concerning proper best management practices for special management areas.
- Provide direction and oversight to contractors and/or volunteers working in the Special Management Areas.
NAPD- Habitat Conservation Program Support
- Assist NAPD Natural Resource Manager with completion of documentation and reporting as required under the County Habitat Conservation Plan.
- As requested, provide technical assistance to the NAPD Natural Resource Manager in the program area.
- Coordinate with NAPD Natural Resource Manager Contractor for roadside management work activities.
Other duties as assigned.
- Valid Driver's license
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Natural Resource Management, Botany, Ecology or related field
- At least 1 year of experience related to Biology, Natural Resource Management, Botany, and/or Ecology.