This position is responsible for working with department leadership to provide consistent efficient operations throughout the department.
- Ensure all department opening and closing tasks are completed effectively and efficiently and documented as quality systems require.
- Distribute projects or assignments to appropriate personnel within the department to ensure processes are efficiently and effectively completed.
- Ensure sample analysis flow if efficient in conjunction with quality
- Assist with scheduling and adjusting staff as needed based on sample volume ensuring minimal delays or down time in processes.
- Support laboratory leadership in employee development by providing effective training to new employees and acting as a resource to all department employees in the resolution of questions, problems, or alternative resources.
- Help implement systems as guided by laboratory leadership and support lean process or Industrial Performance related activities either directed from Corporate or in Lab-Specific Projects.
- Ensure client specific requirements are being met.
- Communicate with other departments as well as management on department needs.
- Assist with selection and orientation of new hires
- Work with supervisor on identifying and correcting performance issues and recognizing outstanding performers.
- Ensure effective utilization of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) – as it pertains to batching, reports tracability, etc.
- Support corporate quality and continuous improvement process.
- This position has the responsibility and authority to initiate action to prevent or minimize departures from the quality system or test procedures. This authority includes addressing resource needs to properly address issues such as client turn-around time requirements, overtime limits, employee turnover, work stoppage and assure the appropriate type and amount of materials are ready and available for use.
- Perform other related tasks as needed.
The incumbent must have a general knowledge of food science to accurately perform testing procedures and obtain accurate results. A broad knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and policies is necessary to ensure a safe working environment. Maintain knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) that is required to complete job responsibilities. A general level of data entry skills is needed to calculate and record analysis results. Analytical skills are helpful to complete analysis procedures. Physical dexterity with pipetting is required to transfer sample into plates and tubes. Laboratory skills obtained as a laboratory technician or similar position are essential to perform the necessary analyses. Oral and written communication skills are necessary to supervise departmental personnel. Organizational and planning skills are useful to plan departmental activities. Supervisory skills are necessary to lead work groups.