Ostrich Production Senior Manager (Hatchery experience required)
JOB TITLE: Ostrich Production Senior Manager (“OPSM”)
DEPARTMENT: Health & Husbandry, Kuna Farm (Boise, Idaho)
REPORTS TO: CEO, American Ostrich Farms
American Ostrich Farms (AOF): A meritocratic, mission-driven company disrupting the traditional U.S. animal protein industry at a huge scale.
AOF is the leading producer of ostrich in America. Our vertically integrated, family-owned farm is disrupting the traditional U.S. animal protein industry by creating availability and increasing awareness of ostrich as the preferred sustainable animal protein choice. We produce premium quality product with an increased nutritional profile and smaller environmental footprint than any other red meat.
An unsung hero of protein aficionados, ostrich looks, feels, and tastes just like a lean filet mignon but is drastically better for your health & the environment. We are a high-growth, high-performance start-up and are hiring and developing the best possible talent to join the team at our flagship facility just outside of Boise, Idaho. In its capacity as ground zero for developing best practices in every aspect of ostrich production and productization, we are engaged in a variety of unique, groundbreaking undertakings to significantly and sustainably increase production on our 120-acre property.
The Kuna Farm OPSM is the leader of one of American Ostrich Farms’ three primary business divisions, Bird Health & Husbandry (H&H), and works closely with all Operations staff & Senior Management. The OPSM oversees all facets of Ostrich production at the largest, most advanced, fastest growing ostrich production facility in the US. The OPSM Has a track record of innovation and team management, thrives in a highly meritocratic work environment, and is adaptable and effective with regard to task selection and execution, production analysis and improvement, and crisis management. The OPSM is expected to grow and advance with the company and take on an increasingly larger role at our increasingly larger company over time.
• Develop the H&H Division to effectively execute a dramatic increase in egg production, hatchery performance & capacity, & young ostrich survivability at our flagship facility
• Responsible for all aspects of ostrich breeding, incubating, and rearing - from egg collection to hatch to slaughter - including pathogen identification and mitigation, production optimization, and genetic selection
• Oversee care for production animals, including but not limited to daily feeding and watering, monitoring behavior, and general vigilance, with particular emphasis on innovation and continued improvement of AOF’s animal husbandry techniques and key performance indicators from egg sanitation to incubation to grow-out
• Maintain detailed electronic records, authoring reports documenting all ostrich-related activities and relevant analyses to continually improve our tracking, analysis, and production-related decision making
• Supervision of the design, operation, and maintenance of ostrich-related infrastructure and equipment, with a particular focus on incubation performance and minimizing mortality in the early stages of the lifecycle
• Maintain flexible work hours during appropriate seasons and be occasionally available outside of normal business hours and in the case of emergency, appropriately/effectively delegating this responsibility as needed
• Responsible for ranch-wide biosecurity design, implementation, and record keeping, and be the leader and role model for others in the growth and maintenance a highly biosecure, ‘clean ranch’ culture
• Follow, enforce, and provide input on all AOF policies & protocols, proactively identify issues as they arise, keeping AOF leadership informed of the same
• Highly experienced with a track record of success in poultry incubation, production, & genetic selection; excited to apply these skills to new species
• Insatiable curiosity; impeccable integrity; significant experience managing diverse, high performing teams
• Innovative, excellent judgment, creativity, problem solver, can-do attitude, role model for junior staff
• High energy, physically fit, interested & able to work outdoors throughout the year as necessary
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
• $70-85K salary + significant performance-based cash bonuses; relocation & equity compensation possible
• Comprehensive health & dental benefits; Workers’ Compensation; Paid Time Off; product discounts