Senior Civil Engineer
Bargaining Unit: Local 21 - Supervisory Management
The Contra Costa County Public Works Department is offering an excellent employment opportunity to fill a vacant Senior Civil Engineer position, located in Martinez, CA.
Under general direction of a division manager, a Senior Civil Engineer assists in the day-to-day operation and administration of a major engineering division in the Public Works Department; performs complex civil engineering work that involves responsibility for an engineering program including supervision of a staff of engineers and/or technicians; acts for the division manager in the latter's absence; and performs related work as required.
The class of Senior Civil Engineer is the second full supervisory level in the engineering series. Incumbents of this class assists in the administration and operation of a major engineering division or are assigned engineering program responsibility, including supervision of a staff of engineers and/or technicians.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, design, construction and maintenance of engineering projects;
- Have knowledge of government and public works practices and regulations;
- Exercise and practice the accepted principles of supervision and of work organization, including the fundamental principles of administrative management, human resource and personnel management;
- Ability to plan and develop current and future projects and programs;
- Ability to organize/delegate work activities and supervise the work of others;
- Possess strong interpersonal skills;
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with multi-disciplinary groups, divisions, departments, outside agencies and elected officials and their staff;
- Ability to write effective reports, evaluations, letters and memorandums;
- Experience writing staff reports, Board or City Council agenda items, resolutions and ordinances;
- Ability to develop and analyze planning and operating budgets;
- Experience presenting in front of large groups or meetings, including Board of Supervisors, City Council, committees and/or public community meetings; and
- Experience dealing with the public and responding to complaints, claims, and requests for information.
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr.
The eligible list established from this recruitment will remain in effect for six months.