This position provides well-balanced fitness and related programs through the Oshkosh Seniors Center that improve the quality of life for people over the age of 50 in the Oshkosh area. This position is under the supervision of the Program Supervisor. This position will include working with programs at both Oshkosh Seniors Center facilities and outreach locations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Fitness and Wellness Programming (40%): Develop, prepare, coordinate, evaluate and monitor the effectiveness of the implementation of well-balanced fitness and wellness programs, assessments, equipment orientations and activities to meet the needs of adults 50 and older. Develop exercise routines for specific classes. Demonstrate modifications for intensity and impact of exercises. Coordinate educational classes/workshops, fitness and wellness related special events, screenings, wellness/fitness fairs and other identified duties for participants.
• Instruct (30%): Instruct and educate participants as well as interns, volunteers and instructors with varying skills and fitness levels focusing on safe execution of exercise using proper techniques. Instruct, coordinate and schedule classes including, but not limited to: aerobic, step, cardio, dance, strength and conditioning, personal training, endurance based, boxing, yoga and Zumba.
• Equipment, Maintenance and Oversight (15%): Maintain cleanliness and safety of related program areas, supplies and equipment. Enforce fitness center policies and procedures. Adhere and execute the risk management plan. Oversee all equipment and exercise machines, ensuring proper maintenance and upkeep. Maintain records regarding machine usage and maintenance needs.
• Measurement (5%): Establish outcome based measures and evaluation of all programs offered. Establish individual plans for participants and apply coaching and training techniques. Set and maintain standards and ensure compliance with requirements.
• Records (5%): Maintain confidential participant records. Handle emergency situations and submit appropriate incident/accident reports to appropriate staff. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor. Develop promotional materials for all programs offered.
• Marketing/Media (5%): Develop fitness and wellness information for monthly newsletter. Provide and assist Marketing Coordinator with necessary information to promote fitness and wellness activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Exercise/Health Science or related field.
• National Fitness Certification in Group Exercise and/or Personal Training.
• At least one year of experience working in Fitness and Wellness programs is preferred.
• Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to conduct classes and all activities related to fitness.
• Ability to obtain CPR/PR, First Aid, and AED certifications.
• Possess good interpersonal skills, be team oriented and be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the public.
• Skill at meeting deadlines and managing multiple priorities.
• Ability to maintain effective communication, verbally and in writing, with co-workers, other city employees and the public.
• Ability to work with confidential information.
• Proficient computer skills in Windows, Word, Excel, Power Point and Publisher.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the City may consider a combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Exercise equipment, office machines and equipment such as personal computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, calculator and copier.
The physical demands described in this position description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, jump, bend, stretch, twist, reach with hands or arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger/handle objects or operate tools or controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described in this position description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet to moderately loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interviews, reference checks and job related tests may be required.
The duties listed in this position description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.