Assignment Editor (14480)
Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! We are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to more television stations than anyone and has affiliations with all major networks. Sinclair Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for our employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team!
KOMO 4 News is seeking an aggressive, energetic and creative full-time Overnight News Assignment Editor. We need experienced assignment editors who know how to make contacts, generate story ideas and react quickly and decisively to breaking news. Candidates must have strong logistical skills and the ability to move crews strategically. We need people with strong communication skills who can coordinate coverage and problem solve obstacles. Candidates must be able to perform calmly and communicate effectively under stressful conditions. Ideal candidates will be familiar with the Seattle DMA.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Listen to scanners and react to breaking news
* Make beat checks, monitor web sites and social media, react to developing news
* Build contacts and contribute story ideas
* Help plan for all newscasts
* Answer phones and check tip lines and emails
* Set up stories
* Help create evergreen files
* Keep track of big stories and track developments
* Put in PDR's for documents, 911 calls and more
* Help reporters research stories and find court documents
* Coordinate field crews
* Communicate effectively with producers and managers
* Write for KOMONews.com in breaking news situations
* Post to social media in breaking news situations
Required skills and qualifications include, but are not limited to:
* Minimum three (3) years of assignment desk experience
* Commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy
* Ability to communicate effectively
* Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills
* General knowledge and interest in local, national and world news
* Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
* Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter and emerging social media
A Bachelor’s degree with a major in journalism is also preferred. This position is full-time and will require working a flexible schedule that includes nights, weekends and holidays.
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!