Data Scientist Specialist GHG
The incumbent will support the Greenhouse Gas initiatives within the agency by managing input data for emission estimation from multiple and disparate data sources; designing data management tools for stable, secured, and accessible storage of input data and emission estimates; conducting statistical analysis on input data and emission estimates and preparing outputs for use in forecasting and modeling; data visualizations to inform and educate with data-driven knowledge that is useable, accessible and reproducible.
- Bachelor's degree in an Environmental Science or other Natural Science; Statistics, GIS, or other related degree with two (2) years of demonstrated experience conducting data analysis, data visualization, GIS mapping, database management, and the use of data science tools;
- A Master’s degree in an in an Environmental Science or other Natural Science; Statistics, GIS, or other related degree with one (1) year of demonstrated experience conducting data analysis, data visualization, GIS mapping, database management, and the use of data science tools;
- Candidates must have the ability to collaborate with partners effectively and possess good communications skills to present technical environmental information to a wide range of business partners.
Understanding of air pollution mechanisms and an understanding of the environmental setting for Greenhouse Gas Data.
Experience performing and communicating qualitative analysis, quantitative analysis, and/or statistical modeling in support of decision making. Demonstrated project management and leadership skills.
Experience with analytical tools such as Microsoft Access, Tableau, SQL Developer, Excel, GIS Applications, Python, R or other statistical analysis software.
Collecting information from diverse internal and external sources and creating communication products (data analysis/visualization and reporting) for diverse internal and external groups.
- Work effectively with others and coordinate with individuals involved in diverse environmental programs and research and to establish and maintain productive and open communications with business partners and other staff members.
- Critically review, document, and summarize information and data into comprehensive recommendations, reports, and presentations.
- Work effectively as a team member and as a subject matter expert.
- Resolve conflict.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small equipment. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
Position duties may require travel but driving is not a minimum qualification or essential function of this position. Employees who may drive for state business will need their driver’s license checked prior to operating a state vehicle.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure polluting does not have disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have inclusive workplace for everyone.