Manager, Applications Support - Job ID: 384310
DOC is looking for a Manager of Application Support to provide expert technical product support and troubleshoot complex software application issues quickly and effectively. Duties involve managing a small staff of support analysts who are responsible for collaborating with clients and internal employees to solve complex technical problems with both vendor-based and internally developed applications. The role also includes management, support and enhancements for several legacy applications and ETL jobs built in Microsoft Access.
• Provide direction, prioritization, coaching and mentoring to Application Support Team members;
• Define roles and responsibilities; Ensure staff receive the training and support they need to be successful and foster a culture of exceptional customer service;
• Coordinate day to day activities for the application support team;
• Coordinate resolution of complex issues that involve multiple technical resources;
• Develop processes for Tier 2 and 3 support for application and platform incidents as needed;
• Participates in post incident reviews and tracking statistics for client impacting incidents;
• Experience and proficiency creating and developing MS Access applications Including VBA and strong SQL Server skills;
• Demonstrated proficiency in other technical/environmental factors that can impact the performance of
MS Access applications such as network, desktop, and shared server implications;
• Ability to understand and identify business needs and translate those to a technical solution;
• Understanding of the software development life cycle and best practices around requirements gathering, development, testing, and launching an application;
• Perform and analyze complex application troubleshooting and diagnosis of incidents;
• Diagnose and resolve user problems and educate users on resolutions promptly and professionally;
• Develop In-depth understanding of DOC software applications;
• Perform effective call management including logging, monitoring / updating, prioritizing and resolving calls in a timely fashion;
• Required to be on-call for support issues during non-business hours on a rotating basis
1. Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid experience supervising or administering computer operations involving a large-scale third generation computer at least 18 months of which shall have been in a managerial capacity.
2. Education at an accredited college or university may be substituted for the general experience described above (but not for the 18 months of managerial experience described above) at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years college for 2 years or experience. In addition a Master of Business Administration, Master of Public Administration or any other Master's Degree in Management of Administration may be substituted for an additional year of general work experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience or managerial experience described above.
• 3+ years of experience managing a software support team;
• 5+ years of development experience with MS Access and VBA;
• Ability to quickly learn new software and technologies;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively to resolve client issues without detailed supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
• Ability to take ownership of and follow through on client issues until resolution is achieved;
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral, interpersonal, organizational skills, and problem solving ability to work with non-technical end users on complex issues;
• Communicate professionally and effectively with customers at all levels. Explain technical details in a lain, clear and simple manner;
• Ability to absorb and retain information quickly;
• High level of attention to detail and self motivation.
Taking and passing civil service exams are necessary to maintain employment with the City of New York. Please check the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) website (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/exam_monthly.shtml) for important exam filing information. Please ensure that you are either a permanent employee in the civil service title listed on this posting, or, that you file for the examination when there is an open filing period. For more information regarding the civil service process, please visit the DCAS website at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/work.shtml
Non-permanent applicants (if hired) that do not take or pass the exam will be at risk when the list for the exam is established.