General Duty Statement
Performs skilled level professional accounting and auditing work in the maintenance of complex general departmental funds and financial reports; and performs related duties as required.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Accountant III Job Description.
Additional Information about the Current Openings:
There are currently two (2) openings in these departments: Planning and Economic Development (PED) and Saint Paul Regional Water Services (SPRWS). The list of qualified candidates created from this assessment will be used to fill current and future vacancies in other departments over the year in which the eligible list is active.
Typical Job Duties:
- Maintains budgetary control accounts, prepares budgets, reports, and financial statements
- Recommends future budgetary plans
- Advises management regarding revenues and expenses, revenue projections, and financial related issues
- Designs accounting procedures within a department
- Receives, disburses, records and reports funds
- Performs complex internal auditing functions
- Complies, writes, analyzes and presents complex accounting reports and making fund projections
- Supervises, schedules, and plans work for lower level technical and professional staff
- Monitors grant submissions and expenditure reporting
The City of Saint Paul's mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, public administration, or a related field to include 24 quarter credits or equivalent semester credits (16) in accounting courses and five years of experience in accounting, at least two years of which must have been as an Accountant II or equivalent (No substitution for education).
- Governmental accounting experience preferred
- Expert bookkeeping skills
- Advanced level accounting skills
- Experience with development and monitoring of budgets
- Experience with financial reporting and analysis
- Advanced skills in cost accounting and cost allocations
- Intermediate level Excel and Word
- Intermediate level experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Intermediate level knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Experience with Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District Financial Reporting (for PED vacancy only)
By Closing Date, you MUST
1. Submit City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
2. Upload or submit the following required document(s) via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. Zip files will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10 MB.
- A legible copy of your proof of education (unofficial transcript is acceptable)
- A resume
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Not sure how City of Saint Paul's hiring process works? Attend one of our Elevate sessions. The schedule is available at www.stpaul.gov/elevate.
Selection Process Information
Written Knowledge Assessment: The written assessment will be administered in two parts:
Part I: Qualifications Rating (40%)
The Qualifications Rating is an assessment of your completed application, answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire, and your resume. Be as specific and detailed as possible in completing your application and any attachments. You must submit your completed application, supplemental questionnaire and any attachments by the application deadline.
Part II: Accounting Problems (60%)
The accounting problems assessment consists of accounting questions developed to assess your knowledge of basic accounting calculations and analysis. The questions cover journal entries, cost accounting, adjusting entries, adjusted trial balance, and financial statements.
The assessment is tentatively scheduled on Friday, December 20th, 2019. The location, time, and other specific information regarding this written assessment will be emailed to applicants. Date and time are subject to change; advance notice will be communicated to applicants if there is a change.
If you have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, you may be eligible for accommodation in the assessment process. Please contact 651-266-6500, to request a testing accommodation.
Calculation of the Final Score = (Qualifications Rating *.40) + (Accounting Problems *.60)
Open Job Posting: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements.
Eligible Lists: Eligible lists typically are created from a pass/fail assessment. Those who pass the assessment will be placed on an eligible list for approximately one year. Hiring Managers may interview/hire anyone from the list.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview, job simulation, work sample submission, or other evaluation method.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a drug test, credit check, and a background check which may include criminal history and employment history as a condition of employment. Candidates will be required to submit proof of education to Human Resources upon conditional job offer. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Dan Ferralez at 651-266-6596
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer back to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran's Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran's preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.