As the Executive Director of the Environmental Quality Board (EQB) you will provide executive leadership and direction for the Board, including members, staff and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) partners in administering agency initiatives. You are designated as the chief spokesperson for the Board and chief negotiator with the MPCA and all agency representatives that participate in EQB initiatives. This position is responsible for the development,
enactment and implementation of legislative appropriations, policy, statute, and rulemaking. In this position you will collaborate and coordinate with other state agency leadership, as well as with local and regional governmental units to ensure compliance with the Minnesota Environmental Policy Act, state laws, and the environmental review rules. In order to be successful in this position, significant emphasis is placed on coalition building. The position requires day to day communication with agency staff and regular communication with the Board, Governor’s Office and Attorney General’s staff on specific issues. The position must also coordinate on a regular basis with members of the legislature. The incumbent represents the EQB on matters that are not always under his or her direct operational control, so it is important to develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff and leadership across all state agencies.
Three years of managerial experience in leading and managing an organization’s efforts in enacting program policies/initiatives for environmental programs and demonstrated through the following qualifications:
- Expertise, knowledge and experience in basic principles of sound environmental science.
- Experience with long-range planning, developing and implementing programs and procedures and directing projects.
- Experience with drafting new legislation, policy, procedure or rule.
- Supervisory experience sufficient to assign and direct the work of staff and coach and evaluate staff performance, etc.
- Ability to clearly, concisely and effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and groups to include the ability to translate complex rules that is understood by the general public and local government officials.
- Ability to present and discuss information before legislative committees, legislative staff and federal agencies.
- Strong negotiation skills and collaboration skills in order to develop consensus.
- Understanding of the EQB’s mission, objectives and strategic planning efforts.
- Well-developed understanding of state agency and local government organizations and operations regarding environmental programs and policies.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of federal and state environmental law
- Big picture view of state, national, and global environmental problems and solutions
- Experience with operational function, to include human resources, fiscal management, information management, support services, process management, and performance management
Driver's License Requirements
Position duties may require travel but driving is not a minimum qualification or essential function of this position. Employees who may drive for state business will need their driver’s license checked prior to operating a state vehicle.
Why Work for Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure pollution does not have a disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have an inclusive workplace for everyone.