Graphic Design & Marketing Intern with Career Services (2020-2021)
Come work at Career Services where you can work on team projects, grow professionally, meet employers, and develop your personal brand. After your first year with Career Services, you will have the opportunity to advance in pay, responsibility, and train new student employees as a Senior Intern.
Career Services provides University of Idaho students and alumni with services, resources and events to empower them as they make critical life decisions and pursue career success. We enhance classroom learning by facilitating career exploration, experiential learning opportunities, and access to future employers.
The graphic design intern plays an integral part in promoting Career Services resources, services, and events. Reporting directly to the Marketing, Communications and Web Specialist, the intern prepares flyers, displays, and other forms of advertising under tight deadlines to an array of audiences ranging from students to employers. One of the primary goals of the internship is to develop a stronger grasp of design composition, marketing techniques, and effective communications.
The intern also has the opportunity to participate in multiple services that will significantly contribute to his or her career planning & success. Additionally there will be many opportunities to network with employers and college partners from around campus. The projects will be abundant so there will be many pieces to showcase in a professional portfolio.
Career Services greatly values customer service, fosters professionalism and encourages leadership development. These skills are essential parts of its central competencies. As such the intern may progress into higher intern levels with additional responsibilities and expectations given he or she has successfully met performance standards for the academic year. Each additional year of the internship also carries a new level prestige and distinction as well.
Our dedicated staff strives to maximize the potential of the intern into a highly marketable individual. This internship program has particularly seen tremendous success preparing our students for life after college.
- Preferred class standing: Sophomore, Junior or Senior
- Minimum of two-semester commitment
- Available to work a minimum of 8-10 hours/wk in the fall and spring, in conjunction with Idaho’s academic calendar (excluding Thanksgiving, and winter and spring breaks and holidays)
- Preferred minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8
- Interest in or knowledge of marketing, advertising, public relations, graphic design
- Strong computer skills, advanced Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Publisher, Illustrator) design skills desired
- Understanding of copyright law and ability to follow University publication policies and branding guidelines
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Professional level writing abilities
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Project based assignment experience
- Participate in intern meetings and other Career Services programming
- Cross train in other focus area such as administration, career advising and employer relations
- Willingness to learn and acquire new technical and program competencies
- Potentially serve on a hiring committee or student advisory group
- Create materials for on and off campus audiences using Photoshop, Illustrator, Publisher, and InDesign
- Convert file types for various marketing mediums – web, pdf, jpeg, tif, etc.
- Generate content for various promotional platforms: print, digital, online
- Assemble weekly, rotating, plasma slideshow for various college buildings
- Prepare collateral such as flyers and other advertisements for workshops and events
- Assist with campus-wide marketing campaigns
- Manage design projects under tight deadlines
- Edit graphics and photos for use in publications and marketing materials
- Prepare a professional portfolio for use in future interviews during the course of the internship
- Provide customer service to the front desk as needed
- Utilize social media to inform varying audiences of events and services, in accordance with University of Idaho social media policy and branding standards
- Assist with marketing and logistics for special events (i.e. career fairs, etiquette dinner)
- Other duties as assigned
- $8 an hour (130 total hours per semester)