Environmental Community Organizer
Texas Campaign for the Environment (TCE) has been fighting for every Texan’s right to clean land, clean air, and clean water since 1991.
Our purpose is to organize communities across the state to stand up to big polluters, to keep the pressure on our elected officials to do everything in their power to protect the people they serve, and to keep our homes and livelihoods safe and healthy for the present day as well as the generations to come.
If you have a passion for work that creates a difference in the world around you or if you’ve noticed the declining state of environmental protections and you want to do something about it please keep reading to learn more about how you can get involved with the movement!
Some of our victories include:
· Pressure EPA under Trump Administration to force two large corporations to pay for the $115 million cleanup of the San Jacinto Waste Pits
· Win recycling in apartments and condos in Dallas by 2020
· Win Houston city-wide curbside recycling
· Pass bill protecting existing tree ordinances
· End contaminated sludge dumping in Victoria County
· Phase out toxic flame retardants from furniture at Fort Worth-based Pier 1 Imports
Our dedicated year-round presence in our community, and the crucial grassroots organizing that we do every day, has resulted in monumental changes in our state and local environmental policies, and we've held polluters accountable for their actions! TCE has truly pioneered a community-based structure of organizing.
We currently need new voices to add to our current staff of professional, skilled, and passionate activists to strengthen our community lobbying presence. We offer extensive training and opportunities for management experience and travel.
Qualified candidates possess strong communication skills and a genuine passion for the environment and progressive politics. Some related non-profit, political, or volunteer experience is preferred but not required.
The Community Organizer will be responsible for creating relationships within designated community areas of the city and building our grassroots base of supporters. The Organizer will be held to high expectations of performance with weekly and monthly goals for various organizing activities.
· Membership recruitment and fundraising
· Grassroots community outreach and coalition-building
· Identifying voters and volunteers
· Planning and participating in demonstrations and political actions
· Meeting with elected officials and other policymakers
Full time: Monday-Friday, 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Full time: $450/week +bonuses
· Comprehensive benefit package including health, dental and vision available for full time employees after 90 days
· 2 weeks paid vacation per year with holidays and sick days
· Potential for rapid advancement and management training
· Opportunities for travel throughout Texas and the U.S., including national and regional conferences
· Valuable campaign experience from the perspective of an NGO advocate
· High-level relationship building skills with the ability to build consensus, engage a wide range of diverse stakeholders and allies, and navigate complex community and political dynamics.
· Ability to work independently, problem solve, and manage time and priorities.
· Good listening, speaking, and writing communication skills.
· Genuine commitment to the environment, progressive politics, and the vision of a just and equitable society.
· Some related non-profit, political, or volunteer experience is preferred but not required.
· Bilingual skills a plus.
Complete our application: https://www.texasenvironment.org/career
• Web: www.texasenvironment.org
• LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/texas-campaign-for-the-environment
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/texasenvironment
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/txenvironment
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/txenvironment
It is the policy of TCE to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, TCE will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.