Biological Field Technician - 448
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST) is a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. WEST has an opening for a biological field technician near Casper, Wyoming.
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work independently with the ability to communicate and coordinate effectively with WEST supervisors and clients, have previous experience conducting carcass searches, and have had experience working in extreme weather conditions and navigating rough terrain.
- Search designated plots beneath wind turbines for bird and bat fatalities and collect data to measure sources of bias in fatality estimation
- Assist with additional avian surveys as needed
Compensation: $15.00 - $17.00 per hour, DOE.
Project Duration: October 15, 2020 – March 31, 2021
Location: within 30 miles of Casper, Wyoming
Workload: 20-40 hours per week, variable due to weather conditions and workload
Additional Details: A vehicle will be provided or mileage will be reimbursed for personal vehicle use. Proof of insurance will be required if personal vehicle is used
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be able to follow all safety protocols to ensure safe navigation throughout the day.
- Technicians are expected to use good judgment to stay safe and work efficiently
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Must be able to collect and manage data with great attention to detail and must possess the scientific background to be able to adhere to scientific methods and report results of field studies
- Skilled use of compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, and digital cameras as well as the ability to maintain equipment
- Ability to follow protocol is essential, and macro-photography experience preferred
- Ability to identify birds and bats within the region, use of guides and keys for identification
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (safety-toed hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
- Successful candidates must be willing and able to spend a majority of the day walking over uneven terrain.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.