High School Special Education Teacher- Kalispell Public Schools
Nestled in the heart of the Flathead Valley, Kalispell, Montana is located in the North West Corner of the state surrounded by Glacier National Park, Flathead Lake and Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort. Famous for the “best backyard in the country”, Kalispell is the perfect place for the recreational enthusiast or one that simply enjoys great vistas.
Kalispell Public Schools offers exceptional employment opportunities and a work environment that is second to none. We pride ourselves on fostering a team-orientated, collaborative workplace. If you have a passion for kids and education and have a positive can-do attitude, KPS is the place for you! Whether you are a teacher in a classroom or a grounds worker in the District, you have the ability to impact our kids in a positive way everyday with the work you do!
Position duties may change based on student need and applicant pool. You are encouraged to apply if you have the appropriate endorsement.
- Instructs high-school students with disabilities, following Individualized Education Plans (IEP), with a focus on Pre-Employment Transition Services/programming. These services include activities in the following areas: Job Exploration, Work-Based learning Experiences, Counseling for Post-Secondary Education Options, WorkPlace Readiness Training and Instruction in Self-Advocacy
- Maintains and manages a special education caseload of approximately 20 students between both schools.
- Designs and implements Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for students with disabilities.
- Coordinates activities and programs at Flathead and Glacier High Schools.
- Meets the diverse needs of students in the classroom by providing an appropriate learning environment.
- Provides quality instruction by using effective lesson plan development, instructional strategies, and research based instructional programs.
- Establishes effective classroom management, safety procedures, behavior expectations, and individualized positive behavior management plans.
- Works cooperatively, collaboratively, and establishes positive relationships with community partners, colleagues, parents, and guardians of students.
- Effectively co-teaches with regular education staff to meet students transition needs
- Participates in school and district professional development activities.
- Attends building and district meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the building principal which may include, but are not limited to the following: monitor hallways, monitor school activities, and conduct parent teacher conferences.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands Special Education process and procedures.
- Ability to implement standards based instruction, assessment and grading.
- Skill in the use of technology to enhance instruction and communication.
- Ability to work as a contributing member of effective teaching teams.
- Ability to maintain effective professional relationships with staff, students, and parents.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Skill, dedication and aptitude for working with students.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people with a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain student confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain regular and acceptable attendance levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education; AND,
- State of Montana Educator license with appropriate endorsement(s) in Special Education (K-12).
- Thorough knowledge of Montana Administrative Rules and Regulations in special education.
- Experience serving students with disabilities in a high school setting.
- Ability to stand on feet for extended periods of time, stoop, bend, lift, and carry items up to 40 pounds.
TO APPLY: Visit https://kalispell.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx