Corn Trait Introgression Conversion Manager - (18027411)
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking an Experienced and Energetic Conversation Manager for the Corn Trait Introgression Team in Nampa, ID.
You will help meet the world’s most pressing needs by:
- Leading an operational team that conducts Corn Trait Introgression (TI) greenhouse operations with a focus on the marker assisted inbred conversion (MAIC) backcrossing protocol.
- Ensure timely completion of tasks including data entry, and delivery of materials meeting specifications.
- Coordinate planning of activities to optimize use of resources; drive continuous operational improvement.
- Communicate and work to resolve issues within broader operational team.=
- Lead a Corn TI Conversion team to top performance in all aspects of greenhouse operations; personnel management to include recruitment, hiring, and training of Syngenta and 3rd party labor
- On-time delivery of project seed to Version Test nurseries
- Ensure best practice documentation and timely process compliance with established protocols, process metrics and KPIs, including up to date data entry and management of company databases and Teamspace files
- Report and track cycle success rates, reasons for failure and make any necessary process improvements to ensure consistent > 95% cycle success rate in all generations
- Lead team in day to day project tracking and management meetings, including identification, troubleshooting and resolution of technical problems, and implementation of OPEX methodology
- Manage team activities: greenhouse planting, sampling, plant growth, pest control, pollination, harvest and drying operations, ensuring seamless track and trace and minimizing errors; coordinate activities with embryo rescue laboratory to ensure smooth harvest and transplanting logistics
- Write and manage TI nursery trials in corporate databases; interpret and execute on Genotyping Lab data reports. Record phenotypic notes as necessary and upload to databases
- Perform all tasks in a manner compliant with and in support of all safety and stewardship related company policies and practices, including completing all required training courses
- Regular and timely ad hoc communication of any issues to Nampa Conversion Team Lead
- Communicate effectively and regularly with peers and supervisors regarding operational and project status of projects and work activities, and supply input needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Plant Genetics, Plant Biology or related field required.
- In-depth knowledge of plant breeding, genetics and plant biology required
- Possess a valid Idaho Pesticide Applicator’s license, or have the ability and willingness to obtain required.
- 2+ years of experience in plant breeding and/or greenhouse operations required
- Experience in greenhouse management
- Operates in a team setting, successfully functioning as both a functional manager and a member of larger Nampa site and NA Corn TI teams
- Must have basic knowledge of genetics, plant breeding and plant biology
- Results oriented and driven to deliver high quality trait conversions to the business
- Excellent attention to detail. Organized and able to manage complex processes requiring multiple functions
- Ability to positively motivate and develop a diverse, high-performing team of fulltime and contract staff
- Must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
- Weekly Overtime is required
- Minimal regional travel
- Must be authorized to work for Syngenta in the United States without work authorization sponsorship
- Experience in greenhouse operations and Trait Introgression a plus
- Experience leading field trial operational teams preferred
- Experience with Trait Introgression preferred
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)