Lead Pastry Cook
Position summary: Prepares, scales, mixes and cooks recipes as prescribed by the Pastry Chef.
Role qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Participate in assigned product preparation in accordance with standards of quality, quantity control, taste and presentation; read, measure, and execute recipes to produce a multitude of sweet and savory items. Take action to correct any irregularities.
· Respond to incoming orders in a timely fashion; effectively communicate with management and other team members in order to fulfill orders or address any needs/concerns requested by other outlets or guests.
· Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and sanitation; maintain clean working environment to comply with set standards of hygiene and to avoid accidents.
· Ensure quality, consistency and cleanliness of kitchen operation;
· Ensure kitchen equipment is clean and in proper working condition;
· Requisition supplies and food items within assigned work area; make certain all requisitions are processed properly and placed in designated areas.
· Assist in conducting inventory on a regular basis to ensure proper par levels.
· Check refrigerators to prevent contamination and waste; ensure all products are rotated on a first-in, first-out philosophy.
· Ability to organize daily workload.
· Assist the Executive Pastry Chef, other Pastry Chefs, Bakers, and Helpers as needed in execution of production.
· Creativity and artistic flair a plus.
Essential skills and experience: High School degree or equivalent; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Culinary apprenticeship or other formal training preferred. Ability to use scales, mixers and other small wares. Working knowledge of weights, measures and various baking and preparation techniques.
Language Skills Ability to read and interpret documents such as menus, recipes, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers and employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations Must have or obtain within the introductory period, a ServSafe certification.
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear; and taste or smell. Must have manual dexterity/grasp of hand to use kitchen equipment. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds with a hand truck. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee may be required to pass a functional capacity test developed for this job.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to cold/heat, wet and/or humid conditions and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.