Senior Energy Analyst
The Breakthrough Institute is an environmental think tank based in Oakland, California. We identify and promote technological solutions to environmental problems in three areas: energy, food & agriculture, and conservation.
We are currently hiring a Senior Energy Analyst who will assist the Director of Climate and Energy in completing original research and analysis, writing articles for our website and external publication, and developing new projects. They will focus on energy research projects, writing for external publications, public speaking and workshop participation, building partnerships with new organizations, and advising on any related work internally. Ability to think creatively and work in a group is essential. We are particularly interested in applicants that have some background in electricity grid modeling. This role is full time; it will initially be remote but will ultimately be in-person in our office in the East Bay starting in the second half of 2021. This position will report to the Director of Climate and Energy.
The Breakthrough Institute welcomes candidates who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds, and who are eager to learn about many ways of viewing the world. Our goal is to create a community that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity.
Why join the Breakthrough team?
- Learn from the best in the business. We convene a powerful network of social scientists, journalists, scholars, academics, innovators, and entrepreneurs. As a part of the team, you will get to learn from the thought leaders and influencers in energy and the environment.
- Brilliant coworkers who love what they do. We are in this for the same reason – to make a positive impact on the world around us – so we build each other up, support each other, and put our mission above our egos. We’re a friendly and collaborative group. That means you will be able to learn and work with a wide variety of people.
- Execute existing energy research agenda.
- Attend meetings as Breakthrough’s expert, speak on panels, and give interviews on subject knowledge.
- Contribute ideas for Breakthrough Dialogues and other events.
- Propose collaboration with Senior Fellows and keep Senior Fellows informed of relevant Breakthrough work.
- Contribute energy projects to funding proposals and engage with funders as needed
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative research for internal and external use, including memos, reports, working papers, and peer-reviewed publications.
- Write articles for the Breakthrough website and external publications
- Contribute to research and funding proposals as needed.
- Engage with key audiences on social media such as Twitter.
- Follow the discourse on energy issues and propose new areas of research.
- Continuously develop quantitative and qualitative research methods and skills.
- Scope out energy-related projects for our Breakthrough Generation Fellowship program and supervise Generation fellows.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience or academic background in energy, nuclear, or environmental policy
- Demonstrated experience writing for non-technical audiences
- Experience critically reviewing and synthesizing academic literature
- Motivation to learn new skills, propose ideas, and take ownership of projects
- Desire to develop thought leadership profile in area of expertise
- Master's or Ph.D. degree.
- Experience with energy technologies/policy and/or grid-scale modeling.
- Experience with data analysis in Python, R, or similar programs.
- Social media presence.
- Additional hours may be required to meet deadlines. Some travel and evening time may be required depending on events, invitations, presentations, meetings, and other job related work outside of the office.
- $80-95,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Health insurance, vision, dental, and vacation.
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to jobs[at]thebreakthrough[dot]org. Your cover letter should reflect on Breakthrough’s work and how you could contribute. We encourage you to submit materials as soon as possible, as we will interview and hire on a near-term rolling basis.