Park Ranger 1 - South Beach
Title: Park Ranger 1 – South Beach
Job Number: REQ-70073
Salary: $3,080 - $4,441 per month
Deadline: 08/05/2021 at 11:59pm Pacific Time
Would you enjoy working on a team where you can use your excellent customer service skills and develop hands-on experience in park maintenance and operations? Do you have landscaping or custodial experience, and wonder what it would be like to have a State Park as your work space?
If this sounds like you, come join our seasonal team as a Park Ranger 1 at South Beach State Park and support one of Oregon’s greatest resources – State Parks!
This position falls under the classification Park Ranger 1.
OPRD’s mission is to provide and protect outstanding natural, scenic, cultural, historic and recreational sites for the enjoyment and education of present and future generations.
Our Operating Principles
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) believes Operating Principles are core values that, if mutually accepted and supported by all employees, will create a connected, respectful, and trusting work environment. Our Operating Principles are: Accountability, Commitment, Empathy, Empowerment, Fun, Integrity, Respect, & Well-being.
What you will do:
As a Park Ranger 1, you will perform, conduct and oversee a variety of tasks in order to protect, maintain, operate and repair state park lands, natural and cultural resources, structures, facilities, equipment and systems by using skills in building trades, including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting and landscape maintenance, as well as specialized program skills (e.g.: resource interpretation, cultural and natural resource restoration, utility infrastructure operation, park rule enforcement, etc.) related to the maintenance and operations of OPRD programs, properties within the South Beach Management Unit.
(a) Two (2) years of visitor services experience (e.g. rule enforcement; interpretation such as education and environmental awareness programs; special events and activities; etc.) AND/OR maintenance experience (e.g., construction trades, landscaping).
(b) An Associate's degree or higher in Park and Recreation Administration or Natural Resource Management or Environmental Studies; AND Six (6) months of visitor services experience (e.g. rule enforcement; interpretation such as education and environmental awareness programs; special events and activities; etc.) AND/OR maintenance experience (e.g., construction trades, landscaping).
What we are looking for (Desired Attributes):
- Working knowledge of basic park resource and facility operations and maintenance and/or resource interpretation.
- Ability to show common courtesy while communicating with others.
- Ability to maintain composure and take appropriate action during emergency or emotionally charged situations.
- Experience evaluating situations, applying rules and guidelines, determining and carrying out appropriate course of action to achieve desired results.
- Experience resolving customer complaints related to overnight camping and park rule interpretation.
- Experience in the safe use of tools, material and equipment associated with landscape, building, facility and utility system maintenance.
- Experience performing basic plumbing, carpentry, painting, grounds-keeping tasks.
- Experience in promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment.
What's in it for you:
This is a fantastic opportunity to support millions of visitors connecting with the best state park system in America. You will work with a team of supportive, talented and highly motivated professionals. And, you’ll receive a fantastic benefits packaging including:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans for the employee and qualified family members
- Paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and 10 paid holidays per year
- Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP).
LINK TO OFFICIAL STATE APPLICATION (required):