Energy - System Software Engineer Internship (Spring 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
Tesla Energy is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join a small team responsible for energy management and control applications. We are looking for candidates experienced with low-level software such as drivers, porting kernels to new hardware, firmware, boot loaders and general bring-up and debug on the boundaries of hardware and software. Background in low-latency and real-time systems is particularly interesting, but most of all we’re looking for people with a high capacity and ability to ramp up in whatever topic is needed. Strong C knowledge and excellent debugging skills are critical to be successful in this role.
- Deliver high quality system-level software for various hardware components
- Driver development, board bring-up and new hardware enablement on Embedded Linux
- Packaging and build system integration of various software components
- Closely work with teams across the company; Hardware, Applications, QA, Validation and Manufacturing
- Collaborate with validation teams to develop test strategies and test plans
- Currently pursuing BS/MS in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Comfortable with debugging hardware issues
- Familiar with SoC level software development (ARM, x86 or other architectures)
- Can read and interpret system schematics
- Proficient in C and/or C++
- Experience developing embedded software for RTOS or embedded Linux
- Working knowledge of embedded networking protocols such as CAN, RS-485, ModBus, and Ethernet
- Experience writing and understanding technical specifications
- Understanding of test-driven development using unit testing, software in the loop, and hardware in the loop methodologies
- Development and debug of firmware such as u-boot or coreboot
- Security features such as SELinux, TLS, verified boot and trusted execution environments
- Real-time and low-latency software development
- Familiar with Linux build environments such as Buildroot, Yocto and Linux from Scratch
- Experience with communication standards and technologies like WiFi, ZigBee, mesh networking, cellular networks
- Comfortable with Go, Python, shell scripting, make, etc.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).