Energy - Thermal Modeling and Validation Internship (Spring 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
Tesla’s Energy thermal systems and architecture team is looking for an intern to drive thermal modeling and test efforts on new designs for upcoming projects. In this role you will shepherd an early-stage design by expanding on existing models and running initial performance testing. You will work across several groups to define and accomplish the required testing. As an active contributor to the team, you will help create and manage test plans, prepare test set ups and verify model performance through testing. This role will enable you to follow through on that testing by analyzing and presenting data that will be integrated into systems design models.
- Build/assemble test equipment to validate thermal models
- Develop test set-ups and run tests to verify models
- Apply heat transfer concepts pertaining to conduction, forced and natural convection
- Review data and verify that results are physically reasonable
- Compile data into a format that is easy to review and understand
- Further develop understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Work independently to develop models via Matlab and CFD on expected thermal performance
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in ME or a relevant engineering program
- Great hands-on building and problem-solving skills
- Coursework in Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
- Matlab Experience
- Labview/Data Acquisition Set Up Experience
- Data analysis, report writing, and presentation skills
- Coursework in Fluid Mechanics a plus
- Experience with CFD – Star CCM+ preferred
- Experience with CAD
- Great time management skills
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery technology and electrochemistry is a plus
- Self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in Python, or Simulink a plus
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).