Employee Benefits Specialist
Hiring Wage: $24.00 - $28.85/hr DOE
Status: Full time with benefits
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Materials: Apply online at adacounty.id.gov/jobs
About Us: Ada County is a rewarding place to work. As an Ada County employee, you will serve in your communities, contributing to making Ada County a great place to live. Ada County employees are given opportunities for advancement and career growth as well as a generous Benefits Package for benefit-eligible employees including paid parental leave, competitive health, dental, and vision insurance, PERSI retirement plan, and much more.
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for handling the day-to-day client support, education, and transactional administration of the Ada County benefits plans. This position will respond to employee benefit related inquires, assist in the enrollment process, and present benefit offerings in new employee orientations, annual open enrollment, benefit fairs, and benefit trainings. Maintains benefit records and ensures the necessary documentation is obtained for coverage and/or enrollment changes.
Client Support: Consultation and Training
· Administer employee benefit programs and advise employees on benefits offerings, eligibility, costs, coverage, and benefit plan provisions;
· Evaluate or initiate life status changes; examine insurance programs to determine eligibility; assure proper status of insured dependents; review and process all change applications and other required documents;
· Responsible for responding to and maintaining the Employee Benefits email inbox and HRIS help desk service requests;
· Create and present benefits programs and offerings during new employee orientation, annual open enrollments, benefit fairs, and other benefit trainings and communications;
· Coordinate and participate in annual open enrollment activities;
· Conduct research to resolve escalated employee benefits issues;
· Oversee and counsel on retirement and death benefit programs and options;
· Coordinate the completion of retirement program processes and paperwork with State and federal offices as well as retirement providers;
· Ensure legal compliance according to state and federal requirements; ensure plan documents (SBC, SPD, etc.) are current and made available to employees;
· Create and or review employee benefits communications, training, materials; maintain benefits pages on Intranet;
· Research, recommend, develop, and implement ways in which to better educate employees on benefit coverages, options, and procedures;
· Provide recommendations to benefits team based on employee experience and feedback;
· Document and maintain procedures for assigned benefits processes.
· Manage benefits administration dashboard and benefits reporting within HRIS;
· Review and approve life events via HRIS and ensure the accuracy of all benefits enrollments for vendors files;
· Ensure timely, accurate execution of benefit-related issues with employees, carriers, and vendors to include eligibility, enrollment, communication, compliance, auditing, reporting, and documentation processes;
· Coordinate with vendors to update and correct employee benefit information within the portals; resolve administrative errors and attempts to reconcile issues;
· Update changes as needed within HRIS system, carrier, and vendor administration systems;
· Access to vendor sites and serves as liaison between the organization and third-party benefit providers and vendors.
· Provides administrative support to Health Care Trust including the processing of vouchers, invoices, developing and posting agendas, taking meeting minutes and clerking meetings;
· Assist with insurance billing audit, reconciliation, and invoice processing.
· Provides administrative support as needed;
· Performs related work as required.
· A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Business, Human Resources or related field, plus three (3) years of full-cycle employee benefits experience; OR an equivalent combination of related education and work experience;
· Group Benefits Associate (GBA), Retirement Plans Associate (RPA) or Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) certification preferred;
· Experience researching and resolving complex benefit issues; interpreting and explaining insurance contract provisions;
· Experience using an HRIS system, Oracle preferred;
· Experience with various computer software programs such MS Word, Power Point, Excel, Publisher, and Outlook, Zoom, Teams, WebEx as well as database management programs;
· Strong experience in advising and providing consultation to employees on benefit programs;
· Knowledge of federal and state regulations affecting benefit programs including: Section 125, COBRA, FMLA and ADA;
· Knowledge of self-funded plans preferred;
· Knowledge of human resources administration practices and group insurance program design;
· Knowledge of benefits policies, procedures, and applicable federal and state regulations;
· Knowledge of retirement programs such as defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
· Ability to independently make accurate decisions, draw conclusions, problem solve, follow through on tasks and communicate directly with internal employees and external vendors;
· Ability to present information in a clear and concise manner for individual and group meetings;
· Ability to interpret and provide guidance relating to benefits coverage, policies, and procedures;
· Ability to work independently to complete tasks with minimum oversight;
· Ability to effectively communicate with people in potentially stressful and emotional situations;
· Ability to exercise independent judgment and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information;
· Ability to communicate effectively with proven verbal and written skills;
· Ability to show initiative, analytical and problem-solving skills, and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
· Work is performed primarily in an office environment and the employee in this class is subject to inside environmental conditions;
· Requires sitting at a desk for long periods of time, up to 8 hours and ability to lift up to 10 lbs.;
· Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, to permit the employee to function in a general office environment and accomplish tasks.
Employee Benefits: Ada County recognizes that employees are our most valuable asset. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to benefit-eligible employees designed to support the health, wellness, and long-term financial stability of our employees and their families. Visit us at adacounty.id.gov/Human-Resources/Employee-Benefits to view details regarding our benefits package, including: paid parental leave, healthcare benefits, retirement benefits, and more!