Economist Internship Program
You are a quantitative-focused graduate student with a background in economics or related disciplines who wants to complete a rewarding internship with a truly great company that is working together to be the world’s premier timber, land, and forest products company. You act with urgency and are accountable, courageous, and innovative. While you can understand complex topics, you have the ability to keep it simple and articulate what really matters. You are smart, authentic, adaptable, resourceful, detail-oriented, and listen. You bring energy to everything you do, and you like to win. Are you ready to join us?
Weyerhaeuser Company is excited to offer an Economist Intern position beginning in the first quarter of 2022. As an Economist Intern, you can expect to:
- Undertake research using internal data and resources as well as 3rd party sources to conduct analysis including:
o economic supply and demand of major sectors which serve as end uses for timber and wood products,
o price forecasting for wood products and other commodities,
o analysis of potential capital projects, and
o risk analysis of internal and external production variables.
- Apply AI, Machine Learning, advanced Excel modelling, advanced multi-variate statistical analysis including time series, and other cutting-edge quantitative methods to a variety of macro and micro economic projects.
- Network with and receive coaching from a wide array of individuals, including senior leaders.
- Put the skills and knowledge that you have gained in your coursework to practice doing work that matters to our long-term success.
- Visit operations to see how our products are grown, produced, and sold (contingent on safe conditions),
- Gain practical experience and exposure to important software, such as Power BI, EViews, R, and the full Microsoft Office suite.
- Learn about how an economics-related background can lead to a long-term successful career at Weyerhaeuser, whether that is in economic and industry research, our broader finance organization, or numerous other areas of our company.
Preferred Qualifications for this position include:
- B.A. in Economics, Business, Statistics, Economic Geography or Related Field and pursuing post-graduate degree
- Experience in R, Eviews, Stata, SPSS or related statistical software
- SQL, Python, or other programming desirable
- Multivariate and time-series analysis and forecasting
- Experience with financial and/or commodity data series
- Natural resource economics or forestry-related knowledge, helpful but not required
Our internship program lasts approximately ten weeks, and we pay $25 per hour. Safety is a core value at Weyerhaeuser – if the COVID-19 pandemic is still an ongoing concern at the time of the internship, the program may be impacted. This could include converting to an online only approach and/or adjusting the duration of the internship. Successful internships can lead to full time offers of post-graduation employment.
Are you ready to join our team? Go to www.weyerhaeuser.com/careers, search for “economist intern” and start on your path to joining our truly great team at Weyerhaeuser!
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.