Design & Procurement Engineering Manager (WMS03)
The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of candidates will be on May 18th, 2022. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT’s I-405/SR 167 Program is eager to hire an experienced design and procurement engineer looking to advance their career into a senior leadership role to serve as our next Procurement Manager. The I-405/SR 167 program is a high visibly and complex multibillion dollar program, and the Procurement Manager will be responsible and accountable for the successful delivery of the highway design and construction program by managing daily operations. The successful candidate appointed into this role will ensure that the highway design and construction program is developed and delivered to meet local, state, and federal standards within scope, schedule, budget, and safely with the least amount of impacts to the traveling public. Through strong and innovative leadership, this position will strategically establish and implement policies that ensure the most efficient management of a complex multimillion dollar budget and diverse workforce involved in the highway construction program. We encourage you to apply if you are interested in taking on this challenge to lead a diverse team to successfully deliver WSDOT projects.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Design & Procurement Engineering Manager will:
- Direct, plan, lead, strategize, organize, and control the work performed by the I-405/SR 167 program.
- Ensure appropriate and optimum use of the organizations resources and enhance the effectiveness of employees through timely appraisal and professional development opportunities.
- Ensure that all projects are completed to standards and requirements outlined in contractual documents.
- Provide administration and leadership for all design and procurement engineering activities and contract compliance during implementation of highway construction projects, including design-build and design-bid-build contracts in the program.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure strong communication and coordination of engineering activities with engineering support services, maintenance, public information, and traffic necessary for efficient and constructible contract plans.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering or related field or Five (5) years of experience in design-build procurement or contract delivery of highway or other complex transportation projects.
- Current driver’s license
- Experience and knowledge in highway and bridge design and construction, project development and contract administration, managing project delivery techniques, principles of management, quality principles and tools, and construction contract law.
- Ability to develop and deliver design and procurement on complex multimillion dollar design-build and design-bid-build contracts.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Ability to successfully participate in high-level negotiations.
- Knowledge and experience with design process, contract advertisement and award.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position offers flexible/hybrid work options
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County. An additional general wage increase of 3.25% will be applied for all state employees on July 1, 2022.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave - In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 22DOT-NWR-1W243 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.