Why you should join our team
The Environmental Specialist is responsible for all phases of environmental planning, assessment, permitting and regulatory compliance associated with VELCO projects including, but not limited to, the construction and maintenance of electric transmission lines and substations, facilities, fiber optic lines, and radio sites. The Environmental Specialist works with limited supervision with latitude for exercising initiative and independent judgement in support of the corporate environmental and sustainability policies and goals.
How you will make an impact
· Successfully manage and work collaboratively with consultants and contractors to ensure timely deliverables while maintaining project budgets, schedules, and environmental compliance.
· Interact with stakeholders, specifically state and federal regulatory staff, regarding permitting efforts and regulatory changes in a professional manner that reflects VELCO’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
· Manage the coordination and completion of comprehensive environmental and cultural resource assessments, contaminated site remediation, environmental permitting, construction oversight and compliance reporting.
· Perform environmental impact assessments using Geographic Information Systems and applies in-depth knowledge of natural resources and environmental regulations with limited supervision.
· Support the VELCO Environmental Team and associated compliance program by developing and delivering trainings, responding to compliance events, developing response plans, and reviewing and submitting regulatory reporting.
· Maintains a collaborative working relationship with team members and contractors to ensure the successful performance of work in accordance with project plans, environmental permits, schedules, budgets and company requirements.
· Reports to the Environmental Manager on the status of permitting efforts, compliance obligations, corporate sustainability efforts and other deliverables as requested.
· Supports the development and implementation of environmental management systems and related compliance tools necessary for the success of the team and the company as a whole.
· Respond, when necessary and under the direction of the Environmental Manager, to VELCO Operations and Maintenance call-outs (which may, on occasion, occur during off duty hours) to events such as spills, compliance issues, emergency situations, etc.
· Provides input on the development of annual budgets and assists with monitoring expense and capital expenditures.
· Participates on project teams in alignment with company core values.
· Actively supports the company’s strategic initiatives in alignment with the company’s mission, vision, and values.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or similar field.
· Hold one or more professional certifications and/or licensure in relevant environmental fields highly desired, such as:
o Certified Professional in Erosion & Sediment Control (CPESC)
o Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS)
o Certified Water Operator
o 40-Hour USACE Wetland Delineation Training
o 40-hour HAZWOPER, GIS Professional, or similar
· Working knowledge of environmental/land use regulations, permitting, and compliance as they pertain to the development, construction, restoration, and operations of infrastructure projects.
· Superior written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Competent with Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and ability to perform basic work tasks using GIS, Global Position Systems (GPS), and/or Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems.
- Strong understanding of state and federal environmental permitting processes, including application requirements and risks as they pertain to infrastructure projects.
- Strong teamwork, collaboration, and consensus building skills.
- Ability to independently schedule, manage, and execute environmental work tasks, such as environmental assessments, regulatory submittals and hazardous material cleanup.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
· Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
· Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
· Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
· Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
· Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
· Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
· 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
· Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
· Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
· Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
· Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
· This position is not a remote position. Due to the nature and security of this work, the individual filling this role is expected to work at the Pinnacle campus.
· VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Environmental Specialist will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Environmental Specialist at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Environmental Specialist is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
The Fine Print
· Significant time periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and withstand strenuous activities at times.
· Must be able to travel to various project sites.
· Must be able to access and navigate job/construction sites, including transmission line corridors and radio tower sites that are located in variable, remote, and oftentimes difficult terrain.
· Ability to safely operate ATVs and UTVs to access VELCO assets and projects in remote locations. ATVs/UTVs and associated operator trainings to be provided by VELCO.
Must maintain a valid driver’s license.