Assistant Planner / Planner
Under general supervision, an Assistant Planner / Planner performs a variety of technical assistance and customer service duties to assist the Department in administering projects and services offered to the community. This includes researching and analyzing data, writing reports, drafting regulations and planning and assisting the public in understanding and complying with City's Comprehensive Plan and zoning, subdivision regulations, and procedures. Assistant Planners and Planners perform work of similar nature, although Planners are assigned projects that are more complex.
2022 WAGE INFORMATION
Assistant Planner: $5,166 - $7,232/month
Planner: $5,837 - $8,172/month
The following list reflects the essential job duties and responsibilities of this classification but it is not all-inclusive. The incumbent will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Conducts technical research and studies for the preparation of statistical reports and write recommendations for drafting or revising City codes and plans.
- Reviews proposals for compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act.
- Reviews site plans, preliminary plats, short plats, rezones, variances, and other land use applications for compliance with adopted standards and regulations.
- Participates in Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, Hearing Examiner, and City Council meetings to present information and make recommendations regarding planning issues.
- Utilizes data sources in order to apply urban planning principles to City of Kennewick programs and policies.
- Communicates with customers in person or on the telephone regarding policies, procedures, zoning, and other issues relating to Community Planning.
- Participates in research projects relating to Growth Management and Comprehensive Planning and utilizes geographic information system for data tracking and application to long and short range planning activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor's degree in urban planning or a closely related field or any combination of education and experience to demonstrate an ability to perform the duties identified above. The City will strongly prefer applicants with working knowledge of GMA, SEPA, SMA, urban design principles, and computer mapping.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in planning, urban planning, or related field and three or more years of experience in municipal planning, or any combination of relevant education and experience sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties listed above.