Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist II - Montana
Application Deadline: February 17, 2023
Location: Scobey, Montana
Anticipated Start Date: March 2023
Overview: One position open in Scobey, MT. This position is located in a USDA field office and provided conservation services for wildlife conservation in surrounding counties.
The incumbent will serve as a Farm Bill Biologist providing biological/wildlife technical assistance for USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever Inc. (PF/QF), and other local partners. The successful applicant will deliver conservation programs like CRP, CSP. EQIP, and other Farm Bill programs to farmers, ranchers and other landowners primarily to provide recommendations that benefit both wildlife conservation and agriculture operations. The position will be an employee of and be supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc. with daily instruction and leadership provided by NRCS District Conservationist. Funding is provided by the Natural Resource Conservation Service, Pheasants Forever Chapters, as well as other partners.
- Provide technical assistance (wildlife habitat focus) and guidance to landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and others (training will be provided by the NRCS, PF/QF, and other organizations).
- Coordinate the implementation and application of wildlife habitat within conservation programs in cooperation with NRCS District Conservationist, and others.
- Develop conservation plans, complete job sheets, wildlife habitat evaluation guides, environmental evaluations, complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for conservation programs offered through the NRCS Conservation Programs, and other conservation programs.
- Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop plans and contracts for applicants enrolling in NRCS Conservation Programs or other state and local conservation programs.
- Seek funding opportunities from new partners to leverage NRCS financial assistance programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools and techniques in the development of management plans.
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided through USDA Conservation Programs, Montana state agencies, and other conservation partners. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural and range landscape is desired.
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by Federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), State agencies and PF. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
- Ability to apply and use GIS tools (i.e. GPS, ARC Map, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license required; work vehicle provided; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience. Experience working with private land habitat planning is highly desirable.
Salary Range: Up to $42,000 + Benefits (see benefit summary on our Careers page at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs )
To Apply: Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references as a single Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs .
Pheasants Forever, Inc and Quail Forever is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.