SD Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist - Pierre
Start Date: Spring 2023
Overview: In partnership with the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP), the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and local Pheasants Forever chapters; the position will coordinate and implement wildlife-related conservation programs and provide technical assistance. Work in joint capacity with PF, NRCS, and GFP to promote, coordinate and implement conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. Duties will include wildlife habitat planning, contract coordination, writing plans, site assessment and reporting. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat and grazing enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever to help coordinate and influence habitat management efforts and participate in county and statewide habitat meetings. Implement specific conservation programs to improve wildlife habitat.
- Provide technical assistance (biology focus) and guidance to private landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and other groups for USDA NRCS Conservation Programs. The position will receive training on the USDA NRCS Conservation Programs, Pheasants Forever, SDGFP and other local and state programs.
- Coordinate the implementation and application of biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS, District Conservationist, SDGFP private lands biologist, PF Biologists, and others.
- Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for the conservation programs requiring biological expertise in cooperation with the listed partners and NRCS, District Conservationist.
- Communicates program requirements, completes site visits to determine eligibility, and develops contracts/plans for applicants/participants for the USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs and other local and state programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
- Understanding of livestock and conservation grazing systems
- Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
- Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Pierre, South Dakota, is located in Hughes County with a population of approximately 14,000 people. This area is well known for its excellent hunting opportunities for a variety of big game and upland species. It also offers up the best of all locations, being in the heart of South Dakota’s vast prairies of central South Dakota on the shores of the Missouri river. Pierre is a short drive to the Ft Pierre National Grasslands which are open to the public and home to world renowned Greater Prairie Chicken, Sharp-tailed Grouse, and Pheasant hunting. Pierre is also a short drive to Lake Oahe, home to some of the best Walleye and Smallmouth Bass fishing in the world. If big game is your passion the surrounding area is home to Pronghorn Antelope and both White-tailed and Mule Deer.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. A Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field is required.
Starting Salary: $40,000 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package
To Apply: Please combine your cover letter, resume, and three (3) references into one Word document or PDF file before uploading to the “Resume” area of your application on our Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
Pheasants Forever, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.