Summer 2023 Internships in Communications
SALARY: $16.12 per hour
DATES: May/June 2023 - August 2023 (Start and end dates flexible)
HOURS: 25 hours a week for a total of 12 weeks
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
The External Relations department at the Wilson Center seeks an energetic and self-motivated student or recent graduate interested in public policy, international affairs, and communications for an internship this summer. Consistently ranked as one of the top think tanks in the world, the Wilson Center provides opportunities for hands-on experience working on a wide range of issues that impact today’s public policy debates.
The intern is involved in virtually every aspect of the Wilson Center’s External Relations department – a dynamic team managing external communications for Wilson Center events, publications, media relations, and digital communications.
The intern performs a range of duties including writing press releases and media advisories, outreach through social media, and communications strategies for highlighted Wilson Center events and projects. The intern also assists with the maintenance of the Wilson Center website and media contacts databases. Other duties may also be assigned.
The External Relations team usually selects interns for each academic term (i.e., for Fall, Spring, and Summer internships of approximately three to four months); however, appointments can be made throughout the year for periods of varying length. No internship will exceed one year in duration. As a general rule, the External Relations office is looking for individuals who are willing to devote 25 hours per week.
These internships are designed to provide the individuals selected with the opportunity to gain practical experience in an environment that combines academic study and public policy. Internships also provide opportunities to attend events within the Wilson Center and around Washington.
Assignments might include:
- Drafting posts for the website requiring research, writing, and publishing via the content management system
- Drafting press releases
- Drafting media hits reports
- Updating various social marketing platforms such as Youtube and Scribd
- Aide with data clean up and classification of YouTube analytics
- Help with writing ads and doing keyword research for digital advertising (with a focus upon Google Ads)
- Researching, selecting, and optimizing photos for use on the website
- Researching and writing stories on Wilson Center alumni
- Making edits to existing content on websites and blogs
- Assisting the preparation of publications and/or outreach materials
- Updating contact databases
- Performing administrative assignments in support of External Relations office activities
- Possess strong research, writing, and/or administrative skills
- Be detail-oriented
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be enrolled in a degree program, recently graduated (within the last year), and/or have been accepted to enter an advanced degree program within the next year.
This is a paid internship. The Wilson Center is an equal opportunity employer and follows equal opportunity employment guidelines in the selection of its interns.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample (between two and five pages in length).
Please submit your application via e-mail to email@example.com with "[Season] [Year] Internship" in the subject line (e.g. "Summer 2023 Internship").
The deadline is rolling. Applications are accepted until the positions are filled. Due to the high volume of resumes, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.