Job Title: Senior Accountant Fountain City, WI
Department: Corporate Accounting
Reports To: Controller
Columbia Grain International (CGI) is an established leading full-service company specializing in Trading and Commercial Supply of grain and pulse commodities wordwide. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 60 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MT, NE, and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are amid-size company with just over 450 employees overall. The employees at CGI, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
Enrich Foods, LLC was established under (CGI) in June 2023 as a company focused on retail and consumer product business. Their newly formed subsidiary Enrich Foods, LLC completed its first acquisition by purchasing Great River Milling in Fountain City, Wisconsin, assuming its milling operation and a new, state-of-the-art packaging and distribution facility. This new venture provides CGI the foundation to expand into the CPG category.
Enrich Foods will function as a separate operating unit but will share critical management resources through a services agreement with CGI. Under this arrangement our Senior Accountant will work on-location for the Enrich Foods business but will be an employee of CGI.
The Senior Accountant will support administrative processes with the Enrich Foods operation to ensure that the unit functions within GAAP and corporate compliance requirements. The primary responsibility of the Senior Accountant will be to provide financial information to management by analyzing and preparing Key Performance Indicator reports. Other tasks include reviewing data and making necessary adjustments and corrections, communicating financial results to various levels of management as scheduled or requested. The Senior Accountant will work with the other members of the accounting team to work toward operational goals while maintaining quality and efficiencies, and work with members of the business unit to guide and advise as needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the controller (in CGI) to research and correct issues as needed.
- Maintains corporate and joint venture fixed assets on an ongoing basis, including tracking work-in-process assets, maintaining capital expenditure spreadsheets, processing asset sales/retirements, communicating with operations managers to ensure asset listings are complete, and recording depreciation/amortization expense.
- Tracks expenses and analyze month-over-month variances and communicating anomalies
- Performs month-end accounting/general ledger account reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly cost accruals.
- Work with business unit COO and CFO to prepare monthly and Quarterly business reports
- Assists CFO, Controller and Assistant Controller with special projects.
- Helps coordinate accounting systems and internal controls.
- Collaborates with the controller to evaluate financial statement results and investigate certain areas as needed.
- Assists with year-end audit requests and documentation gathering.
- Maintain accurate supporting documentation for all work.
- Prepares daily cash reporting to assist in cash flow projections.
- Responsible for daily/monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly sale/use/excise tax report.
- Prepares annual 1099s for reporting.
- Maintains/monitors prepaid insurance.
- Prepares payroll entries twice monthly from reports provide by HR.
- Leads/prepares broker commission invoices to be paid weekly.
- Lead fixed asset accountant
- Advise and support business unit accounting clerks as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Associate degree in business, accounting, or finance.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of progressive accounting experience, or combination of comparable education and experience.
- Working knowledge of US GAAP.
- Familiar with general closing procedures, internal controls, and financial statements.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Excel.
- SQL Server, Agvance and AgTech accounting software experience a plus.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments with deadlines.
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills to evaluate problems and apply knowledge to identify appropriate solutions; ability to resolve issues effectively and efficiently.
- Proficient and hands-on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with all levels within the company, and with vendors and customers.
- Ability to uphold and maintain discretion and care regarding confidential and sensitive personnel and company information.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive to successfully achieve the function of the position.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and RX benefits
- Company paid life insurance and disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K retirement savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer