Equestrian Specialist Assistant
Are you a horse-loving, kid-loving hard working young adult (21+) who wants to gain skills and learn more about riding school and horse program management in a fun and supportive Christian environment?
Chestnut Ridge Camp and Retreat Center is seeking an Equestrian Specialist Assistant for a year-long, live-in internship. This position is focused on riding school and horse camp career development. Key focus areas of learning include riding school management, riding instruction, herd management, pasture management, equine medical care, child/youth development, marketing and event planning, and non-profit management.
What you'll do:
- Assist with leadership of all horse programs
- Assist with feeding and care for herd of 20+ horses
- Assist with supervising and training summer horse camp staff
- Riding instruction for children
- Assist with hosting trail rides and other horse events
- Design, plan, and implement summer horse camp activities
- Evaluate and maintain equestrian equipment
- Demonstrate and teach safe horsemanship practices
- Interact with rider families and guests, providing hospitality to all
- Assist with other activities around camp as skills/interests allow
THIS IS A FULL-TIME 40hr a week job.
What you'll gain:
- A supportive and challenging work environment
- Experience in a wide variety of horse disciplines and with a wide variety of horses
- Leadership experience
- Connections with other like-minded young adults and horse people
- Supervisory skills
- Teamwork skills
- Herd Management skills
- Opportunity to attend clinics, trainings, or certification if qualified
- Learn to drive a tractor and/or truck and horse trailer if interested
Equestrian Specialist Assistants live in fully-furnished shared housing with other Specialists (private bedroom) just a short distance from the horses. All utilities and internet are provided. There is a wide front porch, fire pit, and garden area at the house. If meals are being served in our dining hall, you are always invited to dine there. (Full time meal service in the summer, part-time the rest of the year).
Stipend is $350/week
Paid vacation - 3 weeks
Opportunity to purchase group health insurance at a discount rate