Natural Resource Specialist
Forest Practices Compliance Monitoring Program Manager, NRS4
Full-time, Permanent, Represented position
Location: Natural Resources Building- Olympia, WA
Relocation Compensation may be available and considered
Partial Telework flexibility may be available and considered
Salary: $5,088.00 - $6,838.00 Monthly
Review of applications is ongoing. The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision or close this recruitment at any time after 9/12/23. It is in the applicant’s best interest to submit material as soon as possible.
Want to join something GREAT and make a difference?
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Forest Practices Program is seeking a highly motivated, creative, detail-oriented individual to manage its Forest Practices Compliance Monitoring Program within the Forest Regulation Division. The Compliance Monitoring Program Manager coordinates and conducts a statewide 2-year study in collaboration with Forest Practices Program staff, representatives of the WA Departments of Ecology and Fish and Wildlife, tribes, and landowners, that collects data from a subset of implemented forest practices operations statewide on private and state forestlands, analyzes it, and reports the study results to a variety of internal and external audiences, including the Forest Practices Board. This position works collaboratively with a diverse team of experts to conduct the study and analyze results. Data collected in the study phase focuses on the implementation of Forest Practices Rules for the protection of public resources including riparian stream buffers, wetlands, and roads.
- Serves as a technical expert to develop, refine, and carry out the Compliance Monitoring Program’s plan and study design, including data collection and statistical analyses.
- Supervises one full-time Field Coordinator position.
- Concurs reports and invoices received from contracted services prior to payment.
- Determines the annual Forest Practices Rule compliance rate.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinates with the contracted statistician to develop a statistically valid annual Compliance Monitoring Program sample population and analyzes the collected data results.
- Breaks down statistical analysis results for easy understanding by a variety of internal and external audiences including the Forest Practices Board.
- Prepares the formal, published biennial Compliance Monitoring Report, ensuring the Report reflects solicitation and incorporation of relevant stakeholder feedback.
- As needed, completes field pilot studies to evaluate additional Compliance Monitoring components.
- Produces the annual Compliance Monitoring portion of the Habitat Conservation Plan Report to the Federal Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in forestry, natural resources management, ecology, or a related field of study
OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- At least one (1) year professional experience in following areas:
- Applied forest management that includes fieldwork using common forestry tools (forester’s mirror compass, clinometer, laser range finder, diameter tape)
- Applying and interpreting regulations (federal, state, or local) on private and public forestlands
- Applying statistically random sampling methods to determine locations and populations, collect data, and report results
- Experience and knowledge using protocols, policies, and state or federal statutes and regulations to conduct project management and field data collection.
- Expert knowledge and skill in applied basic statistics and statistical analysis methods, including a comprehensive understanding of how introduced bias can influence an experimental outcome.
- Strong proficiency in public speaking and communication skills to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite programs such as Word™, Excel™, PowerPoint™, and Access™; familiarity with R statistical analysis programming language. Proficient in ArcGIS Pro™.
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects efficiently and effectively under multiple timelines within a fast-paced environment.