Safety Engineering Intern
Potatoes. French Fries. Taters. You love them, we make them. In fact, we make 1/3 of the world’s frozen potato products and if you have eaten fries this week, chances are, they were ours.
At McCain Foods, we know the importance that food plays in people's lives - the power it has to uplift and bring people, families, businesses and communities together. Guided by our purpose to bring enjoyment to people's lives through great tasting food, we believe that working together with our teams, business and community partners will bring sustainable growth and positive change - today, tomorrow and for generations to come.
As a privately owned family company with over 60 years of experience, a presence in over 160 countries and a global team of 22,000 people, our values and culture are at the heart of everything we do.
Students like you are important to us. We aim to hire the best and brightest co-op students and interns, with the goal of having you join us as full-time employees upon graduation. Our ideal student candidate is passionate, collaborative, willing to learn and take initiative.
Why join the McCain family?
- You aren’t “just a student” at McCain, you will be treated like any other member of your team.
- Work with and learn from passionate leaders.
- Our core values – Family, Authentic, Trusted and Quality – shine through every day, in everything we do.
- Your experience at McCain is what you make of it – ask questions, network, take advantage of the opportunity to learn from our professionals.
We are looking for an Engineering Intern to join us for a 3-to-4-month period, starting in May, 2024. This position will be based out of our Burley, Idaho location.
The Engineering Intern will support the North American Manufacturing Functional Department at McCain Foods while working in one of the core manufacturing functions and contributing to that team’s goals and objectives. The Intern is expected to gain a broad understanding of maintenance processes and tools, potentially including process management, problem-solving, troubleshooting processes and equipment, and managing multiple operations within the production system.
The Manufacturing intern will be under the supervision of our Engineering Manager but will work collaboratively with people from across the site.
What You Will Be Working On
- Support core functionality of the maintenance teams while looking for opportunities for improvement.
- Develop a general understanding of manufacturing and maintenance functions and the major roles and responsibilities in those functional areas.
- Key contact and support for safety related functions associated with capital projects.
- Engage in all training, development and educational opportunities provided.
- Participate in cross-functional teams supporting capital improvement projects with a focus on safety.
- Contribute to initiatives which reduce downtime, eliminate mechanical or maintenance related problems, and improve preventative maintenance program.
- Apply creative problem-solving skills to assigned work; communicate insights and synthesize conclusions.
What You Will Learn
- In-scope general food manufacturing processes
- Basic foundations of project management in real-time application
- Teamwork and cross functional collaboration skills
- Foundational quality control, food safety, and industrial hygiene practices
- Foundations of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement practices
What You Need to be Successful
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering discipline
- Must have exceptional analytical skills and be able to work with complex data.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work with speed and accuracy.
- Must be a self-motivated, analytical, and independent thinker.
- Results focused. Bias towards action, able to synthesize multiple pieces of information and act decisively.
- Effective communication skills (both oral and written) with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent problem solving, organization and planning skills.
- High proficiency in tools used for data analysis. Excel is a must; Access a plus.
What You Can Expect from Us
- A supportive team that will encourage you to be and do your best.
- A safe and flexible working environment that promotes work/life balance.
- The opportunity to be part of meaningful work and projects.
- The opportunity to be part of our student community, to connect with students across North America.