AmeriCorps Restoration Technician
Service Description/Position Summary: The member will work with PCEI staff and volunteers to assist with day-to-day tasks related to our restoration projects, Nature Center, and native plant nursery. Tasks include: Invasive species control, planting, watering, mowing, monitoring, erosion control, installing and maintaining plant protectors, seeding, minor construction, trail maintenance, and leading volunteer events. The member may also have opportunities to engage in environmental education.
- Assist Restoration Program staff with implementation of restoration projects (using weed eaters, saws, hand picking weeds, planting trees, riding mowers)
- Assist PCEI staff with groundskeeping of the PCEI Nature Center. (help with event set up and take down, mowing, landscaping, watering plant nursery, pulling weeds, snow blowing)
- Assist with Volunteer Coordination (lead individuals and groups in restoration and nature center projects. Help teach new skills and lead reflections around accomplishments)
- Assist PCEI staff in maintenance and organization of PCEI’s vehicles, tools and equipment and composting program. (Help inventory and keep tools checkout program running smoothly, weekly cleaning and organizing of vehicles and tools and assist with pick up and management of facility compost)
- Assist in care and maintenance of PCEI’s nursery, greenhouse, and native plant inventory (water and weed plant nursery, work with volunteers to assist in care and upkeep).
- Assist with Educational programs (co-lead field experiences, classroom trips and work with university students teaching basic ecology, water resources and naturalist skills. Training provided).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
- Must possess high school diploma or equivalent, or commit to earning one prior to receiving award.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Must be able to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
- Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check provided through PCEI.
- Must complete and submit all necessary PCEI AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
- Must commit to and attend and complete all PCEI AmeriCorps training and service requirements including orientation, trainings, team meetings and national service days.
- Must wear AmeriCorps uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events.
- Must have a cooperative manner and the ability to serve as part of a diverse team.
- Must have regular and reliable attendance and dependability.
- AmeriCorps members can enroll in multiple terms of service that add up to the value of two full-time education awards. You can also serve additional terms but will not receive an additional education award.
- Knowledge of and/or desire to learn about plant species and management
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Experience working with community and with managing volunteers
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Regular and reliable attendance and dependability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact professionally with a diverse team of faculty, staff and students.
- Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel (and experience or openness to learning GIS, web design, and graphic programs)
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to kneel, remain on feet for multiple hours at a time, and work with groups in an outdoor setting
- A cooperative manner and a willingness to contribute to the spirit of community, volunteerism and teamwork
- Committed to serving the needs of the community and the environment
- Has a general interest in restoration and conservation efforts
- Works independently as well as part of a group
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of regional ecology, and native vs. invasive plants
- Experience with various hand tools such as shovels, rakes, hammers, wrenches, etc.
- Experience operating motorized equipment such as mowers, weed eaters, pumps, etc.
- Willingness and preparedness to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
Member Benefits Include:
- A taxable, monthly living allowance totaling $10,200 for an 6-month/900-hour term.
- Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members receive an education award in the amount of $3,447.50 that can be used to repay qualified student loans or for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
- Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable.)
- Basic medical insurance for those who qualify.
- Childcare allowance for those who qualify.
- Professional development, trainings and networking opportunities.
- Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals and conduct all activities in full accessible settings.
Project Location and/or Transportation Needs: Must have valid drivers license (site based in Moscow, ID 1040 Rodeo Dr.) and travel to project sites